It makes things like HTML document traversal and manipulation, event handling, animation, and Ajax much simpler with an easy-to-use API that works across a multitude of browsers.
It is designed to simplify client side scripting of HTML
The jQuery library contains the following features:
- HTML/DOM manipulation
- CSS manipulation
- HTML event methods
- Effects and animations
Why jQuery is opted ?
jQuery is very compact and increases the productivity of the developer by enabling them to achieve critical UI functionality by writing very small amount of code.
- It helps to improve the performance of the application
- It helps to develop most browser compatible web page
- It helps to implement UI related critical functionality without writing hundreds of lines of codes
- It is fast
- It is extensible – jQuery can be extended to implement customized behavior
Other advantages of jQuery are:
- Simple and cleaner code, no need to write several lines of codes to achieve complex functionality